FOLITRAX LP GEL
Folitrax LP Gel belongs to the class of medicines called 'anti-metabolites and immunosuppressants' used to treat severe psoriasis. Psoriasis is a skin disorder in which skin cells multiply faster than usual. This causes scaling, redness, and thickness of the skin. Folitrax LP Gel contains 'Methotrexate 1%', which works by suppressing the overactive immune system that is responsible for causing psoriasis.
1. Psoriasis Management: Folitrax LP Gel is commonly used in Indian dermatology to treat psoriasis, a chronic skin condition characterised by red, scaly patches. It helps reduce inflammation, scaling, and itching associated with psoriasis.
2. Rheumatoid Arthritis: In addition to its dermatological applications, Folitrax LP Gel is also used to manage rheumatoid arthritis, a chronic autoimmune disorder. It helps alleviate joint pain and swelling.
1. Methotrexate: The active ingredient in Folitrax LP Gel is methotrexate, which is a disease-modifying antirheumatic drug (DMARD). It works by inhibiting the growth of skin cells in psoriasis and by reducing the inflammatory response in rheumatoid arthritis.
1. Prescription Only: Folitrax LP Gel should be used only under the supervision and prescription of a qualified dermatologist or rheumatologist.
2. Pregnancy and Breastfeeding: Pregnant women and nursing mothers should avoid using Folitrax LP Gel, as methotrexate may harm the developing foetus or infant.
3. Liver and Kidney Function: Patients with impaired liver or kidney function should exercise caution, as methotrexate may affect these organs.
4. Vaccinations: Live vaccines should be avoided while using Folitrax LP Gel, as it can reduce the effectiveness of vaccines.
1. Application: Apply a thin layer of Folitrax LP Gel to the affected skin areas or joints as directed by your healthcare provider.
2. Frequency: The frequency of use is typically once or twice a week, depending on the condition being treated.
3. Duration: Continue using the gel for the prescribed duration. Do not discontinue without consulting your doctor.
4. Avoid Sun Exposure: Folitrax LP Gel can increase skin sensitivity to sunlight. Use sunscreen and protective clothing when going out in the sun.
1. Skin Irritation: Mild skin irritation, redness, or burning may occur at the application site.
2. Nausea: Some patients may experience nausea or vomiting when using Folitrax LP Gel.
3. Hair Loss: Temporary hair loss may occur, especially in patients with psoriasis.
4. Liver and Blood Abnormalities: Methotrexate can affect the liver and blood cell counts. Regular monitoring of these parameters is essential during treatment.
1. Regular Monitoring: Patients using Folitrax LP Gel should undergo regular blood tests and liver function tests to ensure safety and effectiveness.
2. Individualised Treatment: The dosage and treatment plan should be tailored to the individual's condition and response to therapy.
3. Patient Education: Patients must be educated about the potential side effects, proper application, and the importance of compliance with the prescribed regimen.
4. Consultation: If you experience any unusual or severe side effects, consult your healthcare provider immediately.
Note: It is essential to read and follow the instructions provided with the specific brand or formulation of Folitrax LP Gel and consult a dermatologist or healthcare professional for personalised advice regarding its use in dermatology.